Monday, January 9, 2012

Gray, the opportunity for anything

I've fallen in love. Head-over-heels, sick-to-my-stomach, can't-live-without-it love. I've fallen in love with none other than Gray. Not some silly man, just the irreplaceable color.

Now don't get me wrong here, I love all of my neutrals. Brown is my favorite color, for pity's sake. But Gray. I mean have you seen what he can do.

Gray can take your fuschia sweater and move it from obnoxious to mellow. But your sweater is still going to pop. What's great about Gray is no matter the shade of any other color you can still wear Gray. With Black or Brown or even Navy you run into issues with "Does this look too much like I'm trying to wear the same color, but accidentally grabbed a brown sock and a black sock?" Gray doesn't do that to you! Gray is forgiving!

And I know what you're thinking, "Gray? But Gray is cold. He's harsh and somehow simultaneously bland." I know. I thought that too, but get out your Grays. All of them. I'll wait. Now grab any color and put it next to a Gray. Suddenly Gray is warm and inviting. It softens and mellows without removing the power of a color. Gray is your neutral salvation.

There's this strange and inexplicable fear I see in people when it comes to neutrals. That somehow one neutral means only neutrals in an outfit. WRONG, so wrong, unless you're an elderly woman, then you can feel free to wear an entire outfit of cream. But if you aren't 82 yet, might I recommend one neutral and many colors?

Though, I don't know if you should trust me as I so often accidentally find myself wearing costumes to work rather than outfits, but more on that later.

Meanwhile, take a look at these shoes before this post calls it quits.



First, GRAY! Second, they look so much classier than they are. Wing-tip stitching. Laces. It looks like I put effort into wearing these shoes. Secret: The only effort I put into them was stretching them a little. They're just jazz shoes, at the heart of the matter. Gray flats with fancy stitching and laces that secretly slide on. I could go be in some stage production where I need to be doing some soft-shoeing, but still look like a businesswoman. Plus, comfort city. But the truly beautiful thing about these shoes? I spent a measly $8 on them.

2 comments:

  1. gray is my favorite color! i'm wearing a gray shirt today. pics of my outfit forthcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this. i do. i love this post, i love this blog. hopefully, your fashion tips will offset my ugly ass wisdom tooth picture. YIKES

    ReplyDelete