Thursday, January 12, 2012

Bone Thugs & Uncle Charlie.

Last weekend I felt really lucky. I went to a cluster of antique stores and in the 3 hours I was out looking at old stuff, I heard my two favorite Bone Thugs-N-Harmony songs. Can you even stand it? Both songs are on the album E. 1999 Eternal and I first heard this album in Jr. High. A time when No Doubt and Mazzy Star were busy influencing my blue fingernails and purple space purse. I'm pretty sure Coolio was my gateway drug to Bone Thugs but really it doesn't matter. What matters is two fold. First, they taught me the love of fast talk and rhyme. Seriously, they probably somehow made me a better writer of poetry. Probably not too, but I don't want to talk about it right now. Second, and perhaps scarier was the fact that my childhood best friend loved them too. Tha Crossroads was her favorite song and it was my favorite song. What I'm really getting at is that my childhood best friend is now in jail for attempted murder. Do you get that? So every time I hear this very nostalgic fast talk rhyming, I also get sad for my childhood friend that will be sitting in jail until we are well into our old age. And here is maybe the saddest part, we came from the same sort of life. Good, country kid, had a house and school life. Do you think Bone had anything to do with it? Probably not but sometimes I think I should write her a letter and put Tha Crossroads lyrics at the bottom. I am only half serious about that but I still think it. "...can I get a witness? We livin' our lives to eternal our souls."

1 comment: